Op-Ed: Stuart Hall, once a popular UK celebrity was found guilty of historic allegations of sex abuse, including child victims, in 2013 and sentenced to 15 months in prison; this sentence was subsequently doubled but Wednesday he was freed from jail after serving just half of his sentence.
Hall's original sentence was doubled by the Court of Appeal "after the judge said it had been "unduly lenient" given the impact on his victims."
That will leave many people puzzled over his release this week.
"The Ministry of Justice said: "Offenders automatically released on licence at the halfway point of their sentence are subject to strict controls" reports News. “If they fail to comply with these conditions, or their behaviour indicates it is no longer safe for them to remain in the community, they can be immediately returned to prison."
Hall is one of many famous, celebrity older men, in the UK who faced allegations of sex and child abuse. Unlike Jimmy Savile who died still a successful TV personality in many people's eyes, Hall was tried, found guilty and jailed.
His legacy will be of an abuser; he will be remembered as an abuser and nothing more nor less.
After Hall's arrest he maintained his innocence. He was shown in the media professing that he was not guilty and this would be proved in due course. In June 2013 it was revealed that the previous month Hall had admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls, the youngest aged nine.
But reporting restrictions meant that the media were not informed.
Ultimately he pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting 13 girls - one as young as nine - between 1967 and 1985.
On December 26 Hall will be 86.
Some will conclude he will be home free for his birthday then.
From our archives:
Stuart Hall sentence increased
Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall admits sex abuse