Op-ed: Thursday BBC News reports "singer Sir Cliff Richard will face no further action over allegations of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say. The Crown Prosecution Service said it had decided there was "insufficient evidence to prosecute"."
Sir Cliff has faced more than two years of sneers, sniggers, social media abuse and more. In a statement issued in response to news that he will not face prosecution he says:
"After almost two years under police investigation I learnt today that they have finally closed their enquiries.
Here at NEWTEKWORLDNEWS we have followed this story.
Our initial report at our now archived website can be found here.
We noted in that report that the BBC were tipped off by the police force involved as a BBC helicopter flew overhead as police raided his home. Sir Cliff was not only not at home, he was out of the country!
That meant he was the last to know in so many ways.
By the time he arrived in the UK the 'news' was mainstream and for many the old adage there is no smoke without fire had already been applied.
We ended that report in August 2014 with this comment - "Innocent or guilty should the press have been allowed to accompany a raid on a person's home, celebrity or not?"
Today local senior Tory MP David Davis said:
Sir Cliff's case was "another high-profile arrest which resulted in no prosecution".
Note: The investigating police force is the one at the heart of the Hillsborough and Orgreave battle for justice.
Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for singer
Police inquiry into Cliff Richard significantly expanded
Following demands by the Associated Press documents pertaining to that case were made public Monday.
The records show that when asked about prescription Quaaludes procured by Cosby and if they would be used to enable him to have sex with women he wanted to he answered Yes in court.
"Was it in your mind that you were going to use these Quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with?" Constand's attorney, Dolores Troiani asked; "Yes," Cosby replied.
On advice from his lawyer Cosby did not answer whether he administered the drugs to women without their knowledge.
CNN reported that according to AP two women took the sedatives willingly.
Jill Scott who defended Cosby has taken a major U turn following the July revelations. Others are expected to follow suit.
A series of male celebrities in the UK have finally had to face historical allegations of abuse, some cases are ongoing, but the difference is that Bill Cosby probably will not face justice.
In the USA the Statute of Limitations means Cosby may never be tried.
He has, and will continue, however to face trial by the public since allegations first broke which could in the end be more damaging; unless he can successfully sue for defamation of character he will forever be a fallen hero and guilty in many minds.
Old adages such as there is no smoke without fire have more than a ring of truth to them in this case; worse still though accusations against Cosby now have more than a ring of truth.
But without a court trial he will never be exonerated or found guilty.
As the people of the UK have learned, sometimes the allegations are just that and have no basis; that said others have been proved guilty of serial abuse.
In Britain celebrities including Rolf Harris, Max Clifford and Stuart Hall are serving jail time after being tried and found guilty of historical sex crimes. But DJ Paul Gambaccini had a year from hell when he was accused and named by police and ultimately no charges were filed.
Victims of sex and child abuse by celebrities in the UK were failed by the system, often ignored or dismissed by police, but finally justice is being served.
The extent of the abuse only began to come to light after the death of Jimmy Savile, now forever remembered as a serial sex abuser. No matter what good Cosby has done in his life, and throughout his career, his legacy could be similar.
The accusations will linger and fester.
If there are real victims they deserve justice.
Does the Statute of Limitations mean you can do anything and not face justice as long as you can evade the law long enough? As an English woman I don't really know the answer to that one.
But I do know that if Cosby has done wrong he should face justice.
And if he has not his legacy should not be tarnished.
Now the cat is out of the bag similarities to sex abuse allegations in the UK include claims that accusations were brushed to one side as Cosby was a famous celebrity.
Cosby's career is over, guilty or not. Shows cancelled or postponed, Cosby dropped like a hot potato.
In November 2014 Cosby still refused to discuss 'innuendos' in interviews but sooner or later he may have to.
The Age Entertainment
In late March 2015 we wrote "another day in the UK another celebrity named, shamed and charged with allegations of sex abuse, highlighting British hypocrisy regarding such offences; BBC News reports that Dr Neil Fox, 53, a DJ, has been charged with nine offences which date back to between 1991 and 1996." but Monday December 15 the celebrity DJ was cleared of all offences.
54-year-old Fox wept in the Dock as was cleared of all charges, and then hugged his wife before making an emotional speech.
The judge said he believed the accusers but that the case was difficult due to the 'historic' nature of charges.
The Mail Online reporting Monday raises an important issue - "But last night a mother of two aged 42, who claims the DJ indecently assaulted her as a teenager, told the Mail: ‘How can the judge say he believes all our accounts but not find him guilty? I don’t see how that is justice.’ She also questioned why the case was not put before a jury."
This case was the first of its kind to be held at a magistrate's rather than crown court.
Scotland Yard said in March that he faced six charges of indecent assault, of which three allegedly involved girls aged under 16, and two allegations of sexual assault.
Fox "categorically denied each and every allegation that has been made against him." His first 'day in court' was scheduled for April 16.
But as we noted what will gall many reading this story is the naming and shaming of accused celebrities prior to court appearances unlike the accused allegedly involved in the Westminster paedophile ring.
The victims or survivors of abuse at the hands of the establishment continue to wait for their day in court and justice to be served.
Current policy in the UK means a person accused of sex and or child abuse will be named with police justifying that method of operating by claiming it helps give other victims the confidence to come forward.
When Sir Cliff Richard's house was searched the police even informed the BBC who had reporters present though Richard's was out of the country at the time. That has to be wrong.
Yet historical allegations of child and sex abuse that run deep into the British establishment are veiled in secrecy. Allegations and accusations, along with some names, can be found online but there is no blatant naming and shaming by the authorities.
And of course the problem with naming celebrities and other abusers is if they are in reality innocent of the charges. There have been at least a couple of 'name' who were vindicated including Corrie's William Roache and DJ Paul Gambaccini.
But if it is the British way in these cases then it must cut across the board and apply to ministers, Lords et al.
The inquiry into establishment abuse was stalled twice in 2014 when Theresa May Home Secretary appointed a chairperson with establishment links.
Ultimately she had to look further afield and appointed from New Zealand.
But the inquiry is still stalled and did not play out before the May 2015 General Election.
Now that Westminster and the establishment are under the microscope some MPS believe anonymity is the way forward.
But is that just for the establishment or the rest of the UK?
This from the Mail Online has to be a cause for concern, but not as far as Fox goes - "District Judge Howard Riddle described the case against the star as ‘strong’ and said the witnesses told the truth ‘as they remember it’.But he said the most difficult aspect of the case was that many of the allegations were historic and they should be treated with caution. As a result, he said the bench ‘could not be sure that in the context it was a criminal offence’."
Was Riddle preparing the ground for a whitewash when allegations of an 'historic' establishment paedophile ring finally come to a head?
Note: One case worth following is "Solihull actor Ben Fellows charged with perverting the course of justice" - Daily Mirror
The new team will handle 29 separate allegations that previous inquiries were blocked because prominent people were identified as suspects.
That paragraph will leave most people to conclude that a cover-up has been ongoing.
Will a new Met team have a free hand?
Operation Midland is expected to continue its work as it includes investigations into alleged child murders.
In late August Harvey Proctor, 68, a former Conservative MP went public to accuse British police working on Operation Midland of running a witch-hunt.
As we wrote at that time Proctor disclosed that "he has been questioned over the alleged murder of three boys supposedly linked to an “elite Westminster sex ring”."
Mr. Proctor obviously decided he had nothing to lose going public about two interviews with police and at a press conference called the police team running one arm of the investigations into abuse, namely Operation Midland, as good as 'incompetent'.
He said the team's boss should be put handling parking offences and Operation Midland should be wound up. Operation Midland was set up to investigate allegations that boys were systematically abused by an establishment paedophile ring and the allegations include murder.
Justice Lowell Goddard's child abuse public inquiry is expected to last five years, more or less. That means many of the accused, witnesses, victims and survivors may not be fit enough to testify or may have died by the time the inquiry concludes.
Related at NEWTEKWORLDNEWS;
CSA inquiry costs and Justice Goddard pay deal
Another sir as police investigate Edward Heath
The Met, Wiltshire, Kent, Jersey and Hampshire forces are now investigating but the Sir Edward Heath Charitable Foundation said it was confident he would be cleared of any wrongdoing.
The Daily Mirror report the person at the centre of the initial allegations as a 'madam' who "told detectives she would stand up in court and reveal lurid details of the Tory politician’s perverted sex life if she was ever charged with any offence."
Heath's sexuality was always questionable but we should not forget that does not make him a paedophile and that during his time as U.K. P.M. from 1970 - 1974 stepping out of the closet was a new phenomenon if it did exist at all. Homosexuality was legalised in England and Wales in 1967 but that did not extend to Scotland or Ireland.
Heath was a single man.
Have you noticed there seems to be a pattern developing? Heath died in 2005, aged 89, and was also a 'Sir'. How many of the accused celebrities and establishment figures have been honoured by the Queen after nomination by the P.M. of the day and how many are already dead?
The last one means that justice will never be truly served but the victims or survivors of abuse will get closure and a form of justice.
Those survivors who were dismissed years ago by police and the authorities as simply 'making up stories' deserve that at the very least.
There is always a problem with allegations that date back some years but particularly when the accused is dead.
There are always two-sides to every story but that does not mean allegations of abuse are fantasy.
But it does mean that hearing from the accused is not possible; there could be witnesses but the situation is far from ideal.
If police had properly investigated a series of allegations when they were made against people such as Jimmy Savile we would not have this terrible situation ongoing in the U.K.
Times change but abuse is abuse.
When will the police involved be called to account?
When will these 'honours' be removed?
More as available
From the Mail Online 2014 - Ted Heath's young oriental companion, and the gay friend who claims the ex-PM hid his true sexuality his entire life - Jeremy Norman, Mr Heath's friend, believes he was a closet homosexual.
Related at NEWTEKWORLDNEWS:
CSA inquiry costs and Justice Goddard pay deal
Police inquiry into Cliff Richard significantly expanded
What happened to the Westminster paedo ring abuse inquiry
Child sex abuse inquiry may last until 2020
Investigation into Cyril Smith arrest closed
Lost abuse documents found as parliament breaks for summer
But police have had no trouble prosecuting celebrities such as Max Clifford and Rolf Harris years after the event. The problem seems to arise when it is an individual with links to the political class of the UK.
After a couple of failed attempts to start an Independent Child Sex Abuse inquiry one finally got underway this year with the chair being occupied by the Hon. Lowell Goddard who was flown in from the Antipodes.
She will receive an annual salary of £360,000, with an additional an annual rental allowance of £110,000 and £12,000 a year to cover utilities. As the BBC reports "The Home Office will also cover the cost of four return flights from the UK to the judge's native New Zealand." The flight cost includes her husband and there is provision for immediate family members. Her pay deal is worth £480,000 a year plus without those flights; as we sarcastically commented earlier in July "Of course she would never be able to fund the flights herself out of a measly £360,000 a year."
Goddard has already said the inquiry may last until 2020 but why?
While it is vital the inquiry is independent and fair does it really need five years?
That will rack up costs and some of the accused and possibly survivors may not be around in 2020.
Thursday's news that the inquiry into the late Cyril Smith is being closed will concern the survivors of abuse.
If there really never was any guilt justice must be served but is that the case?
With each delay evidence becomes distorted or more difficult to locate.
Those who smell a rat may believe that is the overall plan.
Below is what the Northamptonshire Telegraph is reporting Thursday:
In a statement released today after an article by BBC reporter Sally Chidzoy, the force [ Northamptonshire police ] said a cold case team assigned to look into the claims about Smith, who died in 2010, had interviewed more than 60 police staff, including the two Chief Constables in post during the period under investigation.The investigation was started after Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk claimed in his book that material was allegedly discovered in the back of Smith’s car when he was stopped on the M1 in Northamptonshire more than 30 years ago.
In March 2015 Home Secretary Theresa May asked for police whistleblowers to be offered immunity to testify against the late MP [Cyril Smith ] and any public figures allegedly involved in child sex abuse. May said "Cyril Smith cover-up claims 'could lead to prosecutions'."