Op-ed: Thursday BBC News reports "singer Sir Cliff Richard will face no further action over allegations of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say. The Crown Prosecution Service said it had decided there was "insufficient evidence to prosecute"."
Sir Cliff has faced more than two years of sneers, sniggers, social media abuse and more. In a statement issued in response to news that he will not face prosecution he says:
"After almost two years under police investigation I learnt today that they have finally closed their enquiries.
Here at NEWTEKWORLDNEWS we have followed this story.
Our initial report at our now archived website can be found here.
We noted in that report that the BBC were tipped off by the police force involved as a BBC helicopter flew overhead as police raided his home. Sir Cliff was not only not at home, he was out of the country!
That meant he was the last to know in so many ways.
By the time he arrived in the UK the 'news' was mainstream and for many the old adage there is no smoke without fire had already been applied.
We ended that report in August 2014 with this comment - "Innocent or guilty should the press have been allowed to accompany a raid on a person's home, celebrity or not?"
Today local senior Tory MP David Davis said:
Sir Cliff's case was "another high-profile arrest which resulted in no prosecution".
Note: The investigating police force is the one at the heart of the Hillsborough and Orgreave battle for justice.
Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for singer
Police inquiry into Cliff Richard significantly expanded