Op-ed: Mass murderer and terrorist Anders Behring Breivik appeared in a court again Tuesday to challenge his detention in isolation as breaching his human rights. This time he appeared in a prison gym being used temporarily as a court.
It is a pity Breivik did not consider the basic right to life of others when on July 22, 2011; he systematically carried out acts that would directly lead to the deaths of 77 people, injuring another 151 along the way.
When you read reports about this man and his murderous actions he is rarely described as a terrorist but that is just what blonde haired and fair skinned Breivik is-a terrorist.
Firstly he set off explosions in the Norwegian capital, Oslo, before taking a trip to the nearby island of Utoyea; here he went on a shooting spree killing many so young people; the Island was hosting a Labour Party youth summer camp when Breivik struck.
In some ways police let the victims down badly; caught up in the Oslo bomb attack they were not as quick to respond to the second attack as they should have been. Arriving on the island an hour later the destruction was already complete.
But of course the only person truly responsible for the many deaths was Breivik.
He had his day in court and some in 2012.
His guilt was never in question but his state of mind was.
In late 2011 he was declared insane but as the court trial ended in August 2012 that assessment had been dismissed.
During his first court appearance in 2012 Breivik told the court "I don't recognise Norwegian courts because you get your mandate from the Norwegian political parties who support multiculturalism."
After the names, details and outlines of each death were read out he went on, "I admit to the acts, but not criminal guilt." He then told the court that he had acted in self-defence.
He was able to claim he acted in self-defence because of a Norwegian law which holds the principle of preventive self-defence. Breivik was and presumably still is anti-Muslim, believing that current legislation enables mass immigration into Norway and a "Muslim takeover".
To support and publicise his warped way of thinking he wiped out so many young lives.
He was sentenced to 21 years in jail with a minimum jail term of 10 years.
Like many people this writer thought "not long enough by a long chalk"; aged 33 when sentenced he will be still relatively young if and when he is released.
Breivik wanted to be declared sane and tried accordingly even though he knew he would go to jail. It was part of his plan to persuade the Court and the Public that his actions were not those of a madman but rather those of an intelligent person who was on a divine mission.
The verdict that he was sane did nothing to convince sane people that he acted for the good of all. He acted in a monstrous manner.
But almost four years on it seems either Breivik cannot hack a tough sentence which involves isolation or that he fancied a little more publicity by way of a day in court.
He appeared in court as cocky and well dressed as ever though this time giving the distinct Nazi salute rather than one that resembles the Communist clenched fist pose.
Breivik, now 37, is mainly challenging the government over his solitary confinement, as well as over general conditions including what he claims is the excessive use of handcuffs reports BBC News.
His lawyer said in an opening statement that Brevik's treatment was worse than the death penalty which is banned in Norway.
I doubt any of the loved ones of his victims would agree on that score.
But if the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) is breached he may win his case.
The law is the law and while most of us would prefer Breivik was rotting in Hell the options are limited.