Test rides using empty carriages are undertaken to ensure the smiler-ride is in tip-top shape but this time they were the problem. The Mail Online source also said 15 CCTV monitor the ride and the empty carriages should have been seen and the accident averted. That source blames human error for the tragedy.
Tuesday last week carriages with happy theme park visitors on board sped along the track and slap-bang into empty carriages. Sixteen passengers were injured, 4 sustaining serious injuries. One, Vicky Balch, was due to celebrate her 20th birthday on holiday in Spain but instead was admitted to hospital and has undergone surgery. Both her legs were crushed in the accident.
As officials said in earlier statements some of the injured did not experience life-threatening injuries but in some cases they were potentially life-changing.
The family of Vicky Balch are now considering options such as suing Merlin Entertainments.
Alton Towers has undergone rigorous checks and inspections following last week's accident. It will be business as usual from 10am except for the smiler-ride but will people flock through the gates or stay away?