The following has been shared with us as it was received in an email and asks the recipient to "share." It is from the right-wing of the Labour Party and a group called Labour First; a group that would call themselves Labour moderates!
Help Labour win in Copeland and Stoke Central
Labour now faces two important defensive by-elections in Copeland and Stoke Central. Both by-elections will be held on 23 February. We urge supporters of Labour First to help in both contests.
I am sure you will have been pleased to see that Copeland CLP selected a local, experienced, moderate candidate, Cllr Gillian Troughton, rather than the Hard Left alternatives. Richard Angell of Progress exposes the attempted stitch-up that Gillian had to overcome here: . Gillian's selection increases Labour’s chances of holding a seat where the main industry is nuclear power. If you are able to visit Copeland to help in the campaign here are all the details: http://www.copelandlabour.org.uk/get_involved
The candidate for Stoke Central has yet to be selected. We will circulate details as soon as we have them but in the meantime please contact the West Midlands Regional Labour Party for details of how to help: http://www.westmidlandslabour.org.uk/contact_details
CLP decisions relating to Annual Conference
In the meantime CLPs around the country are taking important internal decisions relating to Labour Party Annual Conference. Momentum are organising very hard, and we need a strong moderate presence to repeat our conference victories in 2015 and 2016 and ensure that the Hard Left cannot pass a rule change that would make it easier for John McDonnell to become Labour Party Leader after Jeremy Corbyn by reducing the percentage of MPs needed to meet the nomination threshold.
Here is what we need you to do:
1. Let us know now by replying to this email the date when your CLP will be electing its conference delegate(s) – your CLP Secretary will be able to tell you this.
2. Make sure you have moderate candidates ready to stand to be delegate(s) and that moderate members know this is a “must attend” meeting.
3. Ask your CLP to nominate both of Michael Cashman and Gloria De Piero for re-election to the CLP section of the Conference Arrangements Committee (CAC), which is elected by One Member One Vote this summer. Their manifestoes are here to circulate and print off: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/271f6fffa61efcfd965911e04/images/cadda2cd-7083-407e-8dc1-f3dc94bc3f54.png and https://gallery.mailchimp.com/271f6fffa61efcfd965911e04/images/db54713b-6ddb-4c13-8be8-419e3f2e2dbc.png
4. Ask your CLP to nominate either Rose Burley or Kevin Hepworth for the CLP section of the National Constitutional Committee (NCC). CLPs can only nominate once for the two vacancies. This election takes place among CLP delegates at conference. Their manifestoes are here for your to circulate and print off: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/271f6fffa61efcfd965911e04/images/5853166d-47f4-45fe-b52a-e3a98d5fc8ae.jpg and https://gallery.mailchimp.com/271f6fffa61efcfd965911e04/images/3f48724c-e852-4a11-91c3-d3e55ee330e4.jpg
5. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) to let us know the results from your CLP!
The deadline for delegate registration and nominations is 23 June, but we would advise all CLPs to elect their delegates as early as possible, in case a snap General Election leads to a moratorium on party meetings.
CLPs send one delegate for the first 749 full members they had on 31 December 2016, and one further delegate for every additional 250 individual members in the constituency or part thereof. At least every second delegate from a CLP has to be a woman; where only one delegate is appointed this must be a woman at least in every other year. Where the individual women’s membership in a constituency is 100 or more, an additional woman delegate may be appointed. Where the individual Young Labour membership in a constituency is 30 or more an additional delegate under the age of 27 may be appointed.
CLPs do not need to send their full delegation entitlement, their card vote remains the same value even if they just send one delegate. Each CLP’s delegation votes as a block, casting a card vote equivalent to its membership on most key votes, so the key objective is to ensure that a majority of your CLP’s delegates are moderates.
Unite General Secretary Election
Many of you have asked how you can help Gerard Coyne’s campaign to win the Unite General Secretary election. You can sign up to support Gerard’s campaign here: http://www.votegerardcoyne.co.uk.
Secretary, Labour First
P.S. please do forward this email to your friends and encourage them to join our mailing list by signing up here:
Feel free to comment but without website links thanks.
For me this divisive communication from Labour First is a clear message but it is not one of Unity.
This blog will include a range of reports and opinion pieces covering many issues. It will be YOUR Voice.
Running a news based website is fun, time consuming and can be costly. If you would like to help the site keep afloat please use the donate button