Michael Matthews, Orica, who was injured previously but chose to soldier on, has been awarded the jersey for most combative rider for his tenacity.
Stage 5 Standings General Classification
1. Andre Griepel, Lotto 1. Tony Martin, Etixx
2. Peter Sagan, Tinkoff 2. Chris Froome, Sky +12”
3. Mark Cavendish, Etixx 3. Tejay Van Garderen, BMC
4. Alexander Kristoff, Katusha 4. Peter Sagan, Tinkoff
5. Edvald Boasson Hagan, Qhubeka 5. Tony Gallopin, Lotto
There are jerseys awarded for top scores in other than the general classification. This can be quite confusing when watching as it may look as if some riders are not with a team. There are cash prizes in all these categories.
· Yellow jersey – worn by the rider with the least amount of expended time
· Green jersey – worn by the rider with the most sprint points
· Polka dot jersey – worn by the rider with the most mountain points
· White jersey – worn by the best young rider
· Red jersey – worn by the most combative rider.
Stage 6 will take the athletes from Abbeville to the French coast at Le Harve. Wind might be a factor, but sunshine is predicted.
Further reading at:
Live Cycling News
Blogger, gardener, farmer. Working toward food security and a 30 foot
diet. Addicted to reading. Love this planet, especially my little corner
on Vancouver Island, Canada